Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blazed and confused...

What do you do when you don’t feel like putting the effort in? I have a big test tomorrow, work today and tomorrow, and am just tired. So I am mailing this one in.

Blazing Saddles is hysterical, many of you have already seen it and know this, and so what is the point? I re-watched it recently and it seemed strangely prescient. I saw a lot political parallels that I had not noticed before. Perhaps it was that I was not 18 and stoned when I watched it or perhaps the racial undertones that are flooding the upcoming election are making things clearer for me. Maybe it is one of those things you just learn to see better with age, ladies I am not really old just not young so keep the boobies coming, whatever it is I found that between laughs there were some sobering realities that we are still dealing with today no matter the color of the president.


Anyway, Blazing Saddles has never failed to make me laugh. It has some of the funniest set pieces in cinematic history and really is a farcical achievement that has not been touched since it was made. Blazing Saddles is a truly a one of a kind film by a one of a kind director and writer Mel Brookes. Brooks has his shtick and go to bits as any good comedy director will; however Brooks has the rare ability to add humanity to his movies and this one has a list of characters that you come to care about along with a bunch of one-liners that still get used, out of context, even today. Find it on Netflix Streaming and enjoy it for the first or 21st time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment