Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hustling baby...

Really what I want to do is tell you to watch the Hustler. The greatest movie about gambling I have ever seen. It led to knock off after knock off, some good, some bad, and one that was a sequel, but I prefer to pretend it did not happen. Paul Newman made Fast Eddie Felson the most memorable underdog that you felt bad cheering for but still wanted to see him overcome. Jackie Gleeson, doing all of his own shots, as the great Minnesota Fats, who sends Fast Eddie on his downward spiral. And George C. Scott as the heavy, Bert, who wants to own the soul of Fast Eddie and sends his minions in all of their forms to break Eddie to his will. It is without a doubt one of my favorite fucking movies ever.



Ladies, hello ladies, and gentlemen I introduce the problem I have with this blog, the problem is that for many of you The Hustler holds a similar place, so I have to go deeper and thus the challenge of this blog: balance the old with the new, the foreign with the domestic, the cats with the dogs. I am still trying to figure it all out, I assure you I won’t and promise to not even try very hard.



Still I want to recommend the Hustler, so instead I am going to recommend Poolhall Junkies, an almost direct rip-off of the Hustler, and it is really well done, with good acting and memorable characters. If you are a rabid fan of this site, and there are millions of you, take my word for it, then you saw the YouTube clip for yesterday. That was my little Easter Egg for you all, letting you know what this one was about. It is about some cool pool scenes, some witty banter, Chazz Palminteri being Chazz Palminteri, and most importantly Christopher Walken being Christopher Fucking Walken.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment